Monday, January 15, 2007

She even counted her prayers

Tonight, as I was just about to settle to catch the last hour of the Golden Globes, I heard a sneeze at the top of the stairs. I called out my daughters name, and the tears started to fall.

She: "Mommy, I cannot sleep because I am so worried about a lot of stuff." (Sob, sob sniffle)
Me: "Oh, sweetie, tell Mommy what you are worried about."
She: "It's so many things, I can't even remember. I've just completely forgotten them all." (Sniffle, sob, sob)
Me: "Okay, let's go to your room, blow your nose and I'll lie down with you for a few minutes."
She: (Sob, Sob, Sob) "Thank you,Mommy."

Then, while I'm getting a tissue for her, she explains to me the GREAT lengths she went to in order to try to fall asleep (through all of this...sob, sob, sob):

"I counted sheep. I said my prayers. I counted my prayers. I told myself a story. I sang myself a song. I looked at all the great pictures of myself and all the fun things in my life around my room." (now really SOBBING) "Finally, I tried to tell time, but I just couldn't do it!"

She had been in bed for an hour and a half at least, so she probably did all of this and much more before I heard her on the stairs. Truly, I don't know where she gets it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.