Sunday, January 28, 2007

Little Mother

Today, as on many weekends, I was on duty. I do about 10-12 weekends of duty in our dorm every school year. As House Mother, I'm never actually off duty (more like always on call) but I do have a great staff that covers some weekends and weeknights so that I can at least close my door every once in a while. Anyway, this weekend I was on duty, and my husband really needed to go to the grocery store today (we were seriously out of everything) at the same time as I was doing our regular mid-day check-in with all the girls. At this time, they have to physically present themselves in my office, so I have to physically be IN my office to receive them! Hubby planned to take one of the boys with him to the store for a little quality time, so we decided I would be in the office which is adjacent to our apartment with both apartment and office doors open (essentially I was no farther away than you would be if, for example, you were in the kitchen and your kids were in their playroom or bedroom), and that Big Sis would be in charge of W while Daddy and D were gone shopping.

I had to write about this because it was so precious to see how seriously she took her responsibility. In the 30 minutes I was in the office, she had made him a behavior chart, posted it on the refrigerator, updated it about 4 times and given him two stickers on his chest for good behavior. She didn't call me for any intervention until she decided it was W's rest time, and he did not agree. Luckily Daddy got home about that time, so everyone's attention was diverted.

She has really developed such a loving and caring heart for her little brothers, and they just love her right back. It is the greatest thing in the world at the end of a long day to see the three of them together playing and laughing without any intervention from Mom and Dad. We have so many wonderful days ahead of us! I can't wait to see how number four fits into the mix!

No comments: