Tuesday, January 23, 2007

PJ update

Since this blog is mainly for the purpose of helping me not forget every single thing my kids ever did, I want to update on the problem I described a few weeks ago wherein Thing 1 and Thing 2 were stripping naked and peeing in their beds at night and at naptime. I think I mentioned that we put them in their pjs backwards (the zip up kind with feet) and this pretty well stopped Thing 2 from further mischief (except that now he takes his sheet off and then, when I go get him up, says "I take my sheet off, Mama. It's a no-no"). Thing 1 however...was another story. He found that while he couldn't reach the zipper or undo the snap at the top, he could work his shoulders through the neck-hole and thus "houdini" his way out of the pjs...and his diaper. So, my husband had the truly (I mean actually truly, not saracastically truly) brilliant idea of using some old pjs that are too small and cutting the feet out to make them long enough. This has worked beautifully! They are very snug, but not uncomfortably so, and the neck is small enough that he can't wiggle his way out of them (we still put them on backwards).

Now, I am sure that there are those who would think that we should discipline them out of this habit and not just "accomodate" our way around it. But really...it is hard to come up with a consequence for behavior that takes place mainly in the middle of the night...and mama and daddy just want to go to sleep. Living with 29 teenage girls, not to mention our own three, leaves sleep at premium for both of us (see post below as to what girls consider valid reasons for waking you up in the dead middle of the night). So, we do pretty much whatever it takes to maximize our own slumber time.

As I said, Thing 2 loves to take his sheet off now, though only at naptime and not at bedtime. Thing 1 has a new trick though and it is so cute. He gets completely under his FITTED crib sheet (yes, they are still in cribs..they aren't potty trained either...and they turned 3 in November...I am up for the 2007 WORLD'S WORST MOMMY AWARD). When I say completely under, I mean he takes his blanky and disappears under the sheet. Then he falls sound asleep. Because I'm, you know, paranoid and neurotic, I extricate him once he is asleep. He never wakes up.

Again, the things they think of that never EVER crossed their sister's mind. And to think...I have another one on the way! But, really they are so precious and sweet almost all the time that I can't fault them their bed-time antics.

1 comment:

Puente Family said...

I am also the mother of identical twin boys and I had to say that I love your story "PJ Update". My boys are only 1 and it is so much fun to hear stories about other twins and dream of what we have to look forward to!